You are most likely here because you may have suffered a car accident in the Portland area. These unfortunate events can occur in a blink of an eye, and be very costly. Whether the accident was severe or not, it can cause stress, injuries, financial, and legal issues upon you. Sadly, you cannot confront these problems on your own, you will need assistance from a legal expert who can deal with the legal complexities of a car accident in Portland. For that reason, we urge you to stay tuned to learn the benefits of car accident lawyers in Portland.
- According to the Bureau of Transportation, in 2019, 50 people lost their lives in car accidents in Portland. On the other hand, figures reported to the federal government show that the fatality rate per 100,000 individuals in Portland was 7,26. That is half of the fatality rate of cities like Memphis or Oklahoma City, but Portland has twice the fatality rate of Boston and Las Vegas.
- According to the National Safety Council, in 2020, traffic deaths increased vastly between June and July amid the COVID-19-related traffic accident decline.
- According to the National Highway Traffic Safety yAdministration (NHTSA), the average cost of car crashes in the United States is $380 million.
- The NHTSA reported that every year, there are nearly 3 million vehicle-related injuries reported in the United States, while the Portland area represents 1% of this rate by reporting 37,500 a year.
According to the World Health Organization, these are the most common causes of car accidents:
- Speeding: An increase in average speed is directly related to the likelihood of the crash occurring, and to the severity of the consequences of the crash. For example, every 1% increase in speed produces a 3% increase in the serious car crash risk.
- Driving under the influence of alcohol and other psychoactive substances: Drivers under these circumstances have 5 times more the risk of suffering a car accident than individuals who are not under the influence.
- Distracted driving: Drivers using their mobile phones are approximately 4 times more likely to be involved in a car crash than drivers who are not utilizing their phones.
Benefits of car accident lawyers
- Dealing with insurance companies: After suffering a car accident, you will need to reach a settlement with the insurance company of the party at fault. The purpose of many insurance companies is to undermine your claim. They will attend to prove false accusations that can weaken your claim. An experienced attorney can counter insurance companies’ schemes, and file the necessary paperwork for you.
- They seek rightful compensation for you: If your accident was caused by someone else’s negligence, you will be entitled to receive fair compensation, and your attorney can seek it for your:
- Physical and emotional damages
- Vehicle damage
- Recovery time and missing work
- Gathering evidence: Lawyers can gather the necessary evidence and information that will reinforce your claim. This can include:
- Police reports covering the crash
- Medical reports that document your injuries
- Photos from the accident scene
- Eyewitness testimonials
- Statements from you and the party at-fault
- The accident reconstruction expert statements
- Filing paperwork properly: As legal experts, attorneys will help you file the necessary paperwork to present in your case. Furthermore, they can file it in a timely manner if there are deadlines attached to your case.
Now that you are more educated on the legal complexities of a car accident in Portland, and the benefits of hiring lawyers to confront them, we hope that you will know what the next step is in your case. We urge you to stop hesitating and seek legal advice as soon as possible.