AR-15 uppers are really regarded as quite an essential segment of this model of gun. This rifle is known to be a gas-operated, magazine-fed, lightweight, and semi-automatic rifle. Extensive use of synthetic materials and aluminum alloy is incorporated in this rifle for reducing its effective weight. A concise discussion on its upper segment is described below.
Different parts of the upper receiver
The upper receiver group is considered to be an important segment of this rifle. This segment consists of the charging handle, bolt carrier group, forend, barrel, and components. The upper segment is generally attached to the lower receiver for forming a completely functional weapon.
You have the option to effectively customize the upper receiver group of this rifle as per its different features and specifications. You can get different parts and tools to build it differently, or you can just proceed to get a specific customized upper segment in this gun. A few of the most significant components are given below.
- Barrel: The barrel is responsible for ensuring the ultimate shooting experience of the user of this gun. This is why it is considered to be one of the essential parts in the upper segment. Accuracy of shooting in case of long-range is hugely determined and controlled by the barrel of the gun. A barrel is generally available in different weights and lengths that can fulfill the different needs and demands of the gun. Whatever model of the barrel you decide to use will surely directly influence the length of the gas system of the gun. In most cases, the barrel is to be 16 inches long. The gun will be short-barrelled if its barrel is shorter than that.
- Upper receiver: This is the part that contains the charging handle along with the bolt carrier group. On the other hand, the forend and barrel are attached in this segment too.
- Gas block and tube: This rifle normally relies on the gas pressure for operating. After firing, its gas pressure forces the bolt carrier group into the buffer tube. This process effectively facilitates the ejection of a utilized round and chambering of the new one. After the firing, gas moves behind the bullet, leaving the barrel and then moving through the gas port.
- Charging handle: It is such a part that pulls the bolt carrier group of the gun to near when the user requires chambering a round or cleaning some malfunction. If a round does not normally fire, then the gun user can pull the charging handle to properly release the faulty shell and then reload a new one. Moreover, this charging handle is also beneficial in loading the first round of new magazines if the bolt is closed. This handle is to remain stationary while firing this gun.
- Bolt carrier group: This group has several components such as gas key, extractor, cam pin, bolt, and firing pin. This segment helps to load this rifle so that bullets are fired properly.
All the above-described parts and components are known to be essential for this model of gun. You should explore different aspects of these components if you want to use this gun better.